Tuesday, February 16, 2010

There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but nobody told me it was a train...

So I am almost 2 weeks out from surgery (2 weeks tomorrow!) and I still have these nasty little staples in my head. I don't know if it's because of the cold or what but they have been KILLING me! I had my first appointment with my ENT since she sent me off to get surgery and I was thisshort of begging to have them removed. Sadly, she is leaving that honor to my neurosurgeon but I only have 3 more days left with these. It's probably better than she didn't do it today because of how sore they are. I don't know what it's going to be like to get these out but I definitely don't want to go into it already hurting. So, 3 more days! [3 more days...3 more days...]

Anyways, the reason for my title is because another little issue has popped itself up. When I went to have my appointment with Dr. Medary [neurosurgeon], he mentioned that my pituitary gland wasn't looking "right". He thought it looked kind of full and he wants me to get it checked out after all this brain tumor surgery. So after the appointment, I went to the Internet just to kind of check it out and there are several types of tumors, malfunctions and whatnot. So I'm breezing through it and these set of symptoms made me sit up a bit more:

+Headache
+Some loss of vision
+Weight gain in the face, neck and trunk of the body and thin arms and legs.
+A lump of face on the back of the neck.
+Thin skin that may have purple or pink stretch marks on the chest or abdomen.
+Easy bruising.
+Growth of fine hair on the face, upper back, or arms.
+Bones that break easily.
+Anxiety, irritability, and depression.

I have almost every single one of those symptoms. The only reason why I didn't highlight loss of vision is because I've always had sucky vision and the bones that break easily, I haven't noticed that, but everything else, I have. It's just, the symptoms are too specific, you know? It's not like, "oh headaches, nausea and fatigue...you have cancer!" type of thing. I mean, a lump of fat on the back of the neck? I've always had that and HATED it. And my weight gain has always been to my face, neck and trunk of my body, while my legs and arms are still thin. And I have stretch marks everywhere, but definitely on my belly and chest. It's just, weird. But I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in April so we'll get the answers then. Who knows? This might be the answer and once that gets taken care of, I'll be back to old Liz? I don't know but I'm in constant prayer over this and hopefully I can get back to a semi-normal life.

Some girls have all the luck, huh?

♥ Liz

2 comments:

  1. My first thyroid surgery they stapled me and it drove me absolutely nuts! They itched, they burned, they pulled the skin, its was horrible! I thought I was going to get them out when I went to see the surgeon but instead I got the cancer diagnosis and scheduled the second surgery for two days later. My surgeon decided to leave them in since I was going back under the knife. Those two days were pure torture! If I could have taken them out myself I would have. The plus side was that I didn't have any pain when they finally came out because I was knocked out. The stitched me up for the second surgery and thank goodness. I don't know if I could have survived more staples. Plus - I totally looked like Frankenstein! I had staples all across my neck. It was so awesome! NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful that the staples are behind my ear so it's not SO obvious, but they are a pain in my butt constantly. And since the cold snap in FL, they have been KILLING me! Thank God I get them out on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete