Friday, February 12, 2010

Patients have rights? Really?

So I'm 9 days out from surgery and I'm slowly getting better. I'm writing this from the living room, which is a big step from my bedroom, but my dad told me I need to start sitting up to avoid getting pneumonia, which is something I TOTALLY don't need right now. So I'm up and watching the news and having to hear about Valentine's Day rolling around. Ugh.

Anywho, the reason for this post is to follow up from my other entry, the one where I was treated like crap at Dr. Phillips Hospital? If you haven't read that, please do so. Anyway, my dad and I wrote a letter complaining about the treatment I received and going into detail all that happened. Then my mom sent it by certified mail, because you know that if they didn't have to sign for it, it would "get lost" in their system. So she sent that off the other day and I got a call today from the secretary of the president of Dr. Phillips. Apparently he wants to meet with my father and I face to face and discuss all that happened. He also copied the letter to the head of Nursing and she would also like to meet with us. I'm going to be in Orlando next Friday to get my staples taken out so I told them that I could meet with them before my appointment.

I'm really surprised that they even responded to my letter. Normally, hospitals tend to brush these types of things under the carpet, but I'm impressed that they even responded. It goes to show you that you need to stand up for your rights as a patient. Just because they have an MD or an RN behind their names, doesn't give them the right to treat you with anything other than respect and dignity. They are there to make you comfortable and help you when you are at your worst. They shouldn't make that hard time in your life any worse than it has to be. If you do not feel like your doctor/nurse is treating you the way you feel you should be treated, say something. If they refuse to change, as for another doctor/nurse. No where does it say that you have to stick with the doctor/nurse you were given.

I've been dealing with the medical field since I was 9 years old. My dad is an RN and I've been in several hospitals as a patient myself. I have had some of the BEST nurses/doctors that you could ask for. I have also had some of the worst. I have learned that no one is going to stand up for your rights other than you. So don't accept anything less than respect. As a patient, you have every right to be treated correctly.

I will let you all know how the meeting goes next week. I also cannot wait to get these staples out of my head. They are driving me CRAZY!

♥ Liz

2 comments:

  1. ok, this is not about the post, but I absolutely love the penguin picture up above! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Rebekah! It's actually from a tshirt I own! It's fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete