Sunday, January 31, 2010

Adventures in brain surgery: Post One

Well I had written out this long and awesome entry about how I came to this point in my life where I am about to get brain surgery, but apparently, I'm still learning my new computer and even though I continually saved the post, I hit the wrong button and accidently erased it! But I think the computer guru was telling me it was too long and in this age of tl;dr (too long; didn't read for you non-internet savy people out there) I'll shorten it and continue on.

I had cancer, which for people that know me, already know this. I was diagnosed 9/5/05 with leukemia and put into remission 2/22/06. Of course I had the chemo and all the fun-ness that comes with it, so I got shingles in my right ear. That cleared up but I always had fullness, loss of hearing and ringing in that ear from on, but again, I had shingles so didn't think much of it. Three years later, the ringing and fullness started getting worse. Thinking I had an ear infection, I went to the doctor, got meds for it and went on. Then I started developing vertigo (dizziness), which was QUITE frightning! So I went to the ER after a nasty bout with it and was told it was an inner ear infection. So again, given meds and sent on my way. Now, the vertigo wasn't going away and my job wasn't buying that I was "too dizzy" to work, so I went back to my doctor and tried to get some answers. I was told that it was a sinus infection and AGAIN sent home with meds. But after that visit, the vertigo did subside for a bit so I went back to work and home and kind of tried to put it behind me. But then the vertigo started coming back, a little at a time. At first I was just hoping I was tired or something and ignored it, but then it started getting worse and worse. It got so bad that I was out of work for a week because I could walk without assistance. So finally had my mom take me back to the ER where they ran a CT scan and gave me some fluids. They couldn't find anything to explain the vertigo, so they referred me to an ENT to get some additional testing done.

By this time, I was frustrated to say the least. I couldn't go to school because I was afraid to drive or get dizzy at school. I couldn't work because I would be around hot oil all day and what would happen if I fell? My work had cut my hours back to practically nothing and my friends were getting annoyed that I was always "too dizzy" to go anywhere. I was at the end of my rope when I finally got in to seeing my ENT Dr. Wagner. She was the first doctor to sit there and listen to my symptoms and take time to check things out. She ran a bunch of hearing and balance tests (which are another entry unto themselves!) and found out that my right ear wasn't functioning as it should be. She told me that it could either be a damaged nerve or a tumor. She sent me off to get a detailed MRI and again I did the waiting game.

I wasn't due to see her again until 2 weeks after the MRI, but a few days after I saw her, I had another severe dizziness attack and again had to miss work. I made an appointment with her so I could go on medical leave until they figured out whats wrong (I had to protect my ass somehow!). When I got in to see her, she had my MRI results ready and told me the news: I had a 1cm tumor on my auditory nerve. She kept telling me that it was most likely non-cancerous and that it can be removed, but it required major brain surgery. She gave me the name of a highly regarded doctor in Orlando that specializes in these types of tumors and sent me off.

I met with Dr. Atkins right before Christmas and he agreed with Dr. Wagner's suggestion of surgery and explained not only the surgery but the other options that were available. But with my age and how young I am, none of the other options were quite right. So he sent me to see his partner, Dr. Medary and get set up for surgery. I finally got into see Dr. Medary (after much wrangling from the insurance company) and he was fantastic as well. He sat in the office with my dad and I for over 45 minutes explaining the surgery, what to expect, and every other question I had. I left there feeling very confident in not only my doctors, but in God, knowing that He has placed me in good hands.

I am scheduled to have my surgery on February 3, 2010 at 730am. I have to be in Orlando at Dr. P. Phillips Hospital at 530am! The surgery is expected to take 4-6 hours and after that, I will be in Intensive Care overnight, then moved to a regular room for a few days after that. Right now, its 3 days until surgery and I have been busy getting things together. I have been writing checks and getting those set up so my dad can pay those for me while I'm in the hospital, then tomorrow, my mom and I have to go buy PJs with the button up tops because I don't want to have to pull shirts over my head with my incision. Talk about a ouchy!

So today, I am good, though that could be the insane amount of Xanax I'm on, but I'm feeling okay. I've had a few moments of panic and distress, but that's to be expected. My family and friends have been more than amazing and I know that things are going to be okay.

I will update this as the days go by so you all can be a part of my adventures in brain surgery.

♥ Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment